Today I want to share a simple activity that I utilized with one of my younger client's last week. This activity is usually used with my adolescent clients but can also be used with adults that are uncertain about the direction they want to go within therapy and in their lives.
Many individuals enter into therapy wanting to make changes within themselves. However some individuals, especially young individuals, don't know exactly what those changes are. Here is my challenge for you...take a look at the tree image below and see complete the activity.
1. Print the above image of the tree.
2. On the trunk/ roots portion of the tree, list the aspects about yourself that you are and want to stay the SAME.
3. On the leaves/ branches portion of the tree, list the aspects about yourself that you are but want to CHANGE.
* The items you list should focus mostly on your emotional self.
After you complete the activity consider the following questions:
- Was this activity easy or difficult for you? Did you have an easy or hard time listing aspects about yourself that you like?
- Did you list more aspects in one category rather than another?
- How do you make changes? Do you have people in your life to help support you in making those changes? Are the changes you want to make situational (going on in your life now) or consistent (always been an issue)?
I hope the activity brings a little insight into your life! If you have any questions or comments about the activity, feel free to email me at email@example.com.